Choosing a subject. You should select your subject responsibly. You don’t need to choose a famous person or somebody who has an exciting life. Remember that your task is to show something curious about your subject. Don’t generalize. For example, don’t write about students in general. Write about the one in particular. It would be great if you can choose a person who saw a part of the history. For example woman who was on the last “Queen” concert. You can also choose a person whose job is very useful for society. For instance, it could be a police officer, doctor or a firefighter
Remember to respect your subject. It doesn’t matter like your it or not. You should be objective during the writing a profile essay. Your emotions could distract you from the important facts.
Clarify the direction of your essay. Try to answer these questions:
- Why is this subject interesting?
- What are you feeling about your subject?
- Do you know a lot about your subject?
- What do other people think about it? Is their opinion differs from your?
- Should you include the interview material?
- What information you should give your readers?
- Do you have a good plan how to develop your essay?
Your essay shouldn’t be completely neutral. Show your own opinion to the readers. They will know your impression about the subject. Your viewpoint will help the audience to understand your topic better. In the end, a profile essay shows the significance of the person.
Interview the person. Make a list of questions before the interview. Ask the basic questions first: who, why, where, when. Then move to person’s hobbies, accomplishments and interests